Friday, January 6, 2012

Vivian, the Plant Strong Superwoman

| |



Okay--so not really but that is how my "diet" makes me feel.  I have never in my life felt so good...never.  I also have never...if we must look at the scale...been this weight since I was getting my drivers license.  Let me tell you a little more about me...


A little bit personal--
I have always been overweight at least in my own mind but probably by BMI and scales too.  In fact at one point due to some crushing news and illness my weigh skyrocketed to 263 pounds.  Not many people remember me at this weight because I hid.  I was ashamed of where I had let my body get to, I didn't even want to buy clothes- so my wardrobe consisted of about 2 outfits and my favorite pair of sweatpants...then something changed.  I was ready, I can't blame it on anything but the bodies ability to heal {mentally and physically}, and I started forward.  I took nutrition classes as part of my electives in college and began walking a little at a time.  My sister came down for the summer and she, as always, made it fun and supported me.  Well, that was 8 years ago and now I am 104 pounds lighter.  Through the whole process I kept learning about healthy foods and kept up healthy habits.  But this last shift has been different which brings us to... 


A little about my current eating habits--
Back in October I got a call from my grandma who had just returned from staying with her brother who was recovering from a heart attack.  We began talking about a turn of events that lead her to watching, Forks Over Knives {a documentary about two Dr. and their research on nutrition and health} and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead {A documentary of one mans journey to health using juicing and fruits and veggies}--she then read the books of the two men in the first film and she had made a decision.  She was going to live plant-strong...this is a lifestyle of having 5% or less {for most benefit} of your diet come from animal proteins and fatty oils.  Simply put it is a Plant based diet or too simply put, healthy vegan.  I say healthy vegan because not all vegan diets are created equal.  Strangely enough I had placed both movies in Netflix instant que the week before.  I was looking for a change in my diet I needed to feel healthy, have energy, and feel fit--not just lose weight, I was sick of focusing on the weight, I wanted to focus on health.  So the rest is history--I watched the films and read the books and began a plant strong lifestyle 11 weeks ago.


I have lost 19 pounds of the 104 in the last 10 weeks, my skin is clear which has never been this way since grade school, I have energy, I feel positive, motivated and awesome.  This diet shift is the only thing I have changed over the last 70 days and now I am ready for some new goals which leads me to...


A little about my current activity level--
I chase after an 21 month old, and rarely sit--does that count?  Through this whole journey, I have exercised only because I new I should--which means I didn't exercise nearly enough.  I am totally converted to eating healthy- so now it is time to make exercise a permanent part of my lifestyle.  As of recent I found out I love Spin class and I know in the past when I have made it a goal to run I have found clarity and peace in running.  SO...


Where from here?
I want to build muscle- I am within 5 lbs. of a healthy BMI so it is time to tone.  I also want to find what exercise I love and can find a passion for--{just like the eating} in this way I know I will be successful for the duration of my life and not just until I can fit into "those jeans".  I am so excited to share this journey with you and I can't wait to tell you more about the plant strong lifestyle...


Feeling strong!
Viv


PS--I will be posting pics and stats later today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment